Monday, July 4, 2011

Appalachian Trail Experience - Part 2

The trail has definitely pushed my legs to their limits and beyond.  I walked off the trail limping and completely drained and sore.  My intent today was to push myself to it's limits and I painfully succeeded.  I hiked a total of 24.9 miles in a little over 7 hours.  Not a great pace but, somewhat respectable.  I hiked through Michaux State Forest, more like mountains really.  There was very little flat ground and was given a number of opportunities to rock climb.  I knew starting out in the morning that the day would punish me but, I wasn't expecting the punishment to be so grueling.
For this hike I wore a pair of New Balance cross trainers.  I am upset with myself for not wearing my Vibram's but, I knew that I'd never finish the day if I wore them.  My feet were still really tender from the previous days of trekking in them or bare foot.  It was awkward for a while hiking in them.  It was a bit odd not being able to "connect" with the ground but, I was so thankful within the first hour when I came to a quarter mile of medium sized rocky part of the trail.  In my Vibram's it would have been a slow and careful navigation to avoid any real pain but, with the cross-trainers on I jogged.
My pace for the first half of the day was quite fast, around 5 mph.  For most hikers the average pace is between 1.5 to 2.5 mph for the given terrain and pack weight I had with me.  I remember passing other hikers along the path and hearing comments like, "What the f#ck?" "is he serious?" and one older gentleman told me to slow down.  I was too "in my own world" to give any recognition to my fellow hikers and just would simply wave, say hi and pass them quickly by veering off the trail to pass.  I wasn't waiting for anyone and was focused on my mission.  I had a long hike ahead of me and didn't really want to be hiking in the dark.  Little did I know my pace also was a hinderance.
The thing about keeping a quick pace in the mountains there are a lot of rough terrain to watch for, steep climbs and tough descents to manage.  I am lucky that I have been able to maintain quick foot speed since playing soccer in my youth and am a strong hill climber with the help of a couple years of cycling under my belt, descents though, I got no game.  I don't have a problem going downhill technically but, even though I am descend onto my midfoot the impact is still tremendous.   My knee started feeling the impact by late morning. I ignored the pain and kept pressing onward.  Big mistake.
By mid afternoon my knee had swollen and I was having trouble fully extending my leg.  I had a noticable limp and I wasn't even thinking of a quick pace.  I just wanted to get to the end of the trail to my pick up location.  I was hiking through the woods audibly chastising myself for my foolishness.  But, in that time as things slowed down.  I began to see things I don't normally see.  The wooded mountains began to form into the beauty they are known for.  I finally for the first time, saw this beauty.  My quick sprint like pace through the mountains the days before and even this morning had hid this artwork from me.  Now, I was viewing its' spendor through new eyes.
Though I was in pain and pretty uncomfortable I was still able to enjoy the remarkable landscape passing before me.  The rock formations that for centuries have been touched by only a limited number of souls.  A deer eating in an open section of oaks and maples.  Even a rattlesnake sunning itself on a rock formation exposed to the afternoon sun.  Most of this would have gone unnoticed if I hadn't been hurt.  The pain sucked but, was also a blessing.   It forced me to see hiking in a different light.  Much of what I do, I do as quickly as I can.  By slowing down I was able to savor the experience to embed a memory I'd hope to never forget.
My respect to those who trek out into the wild is at an all time high.  To expose oneself to nature and allow oneself to be vulnerable demands respect.
To the hikers who traverse the Appalachian Trail from start to finish I salute your endevours.  I am impressed not only by your physical abilities to do so but, by your resolve to endure all 2,180 miles of some of the East coasts roughest terrain.  To the hikers I passed by in a blur, good luck and I hope your journey is rewarding.  To the Marine I met in Boiling Springs, I admire your overcoming adversity and limitations to endure and push through.  

No comments:

Post a Comment