Monday, August 6, 2012

There & Back Again

Too much time has passed since writing in this blog.  Though I haven't given up writing I have done so in more archaic ways...the pen and paper.  My decision to take pen to paper was made after re-reading the book, "The Future Does Not Compute: Transcending the Machines in Our Midst" by Stephen L. Talbott.  I read the book in college and was intrigued with it then and after reading it I am more so intrigued.   Far too often do I read a book and place it back on the shelf only to be forgotten.  For the past year I've been doing a great deal of study on classic education and becoming a more scholarly and well read citizen.
My hope is to pass on to my children the passion I have for books and writing.  I want to raise well educated and well read men who are able to discern reality from the fiction spewing forth from the media today.  When the most talked about subjects are who's sleeping with whom and what the latest reality TV show is doing, I sit and think to myself what happened to the quality of conversation and sitting down with a well written book that contained substance?
I am not against TV or movies or even fiction.  I enjoy each but, in moderation.  I think I watch about 6 hours of television a month and perhaps go to see 6 - 8 movies a year.  It is difficult to give an accurate count of the fiction I read because I read a lot.  I have anywhere from 2 - 4 books going at a time.  I have practiced speed reading and am now able to read at 700 words / minute with the same comprehension I had when subvocalizing everything...about 300 words / minute.  Because of this I am reading a great deal more.
My focus has been the study of the Founding Fathers of our country, particularly Thomas Jefferson.  Though I admit he was a man of many faults and hypocrasies, he was also one of the most well educated and literate men who helped shape this country.  His personal habits and quirks helped guide not only himself but, many others in thier influence of America.
My plan is to share my discoveries and thoughts as I venture into the minds of the greatest works in history.  The literature I have studied over the past year has changed who I am significantly and for this I am greatful.   Currently I am reading "Becoming Jefferson's People: Re-Inventing the American Republic in the Twenty-first Century" by Clay S. Jenkinson, whom I have become a great admirer of.
My excursions into the woodlands of central PA haven't been put behind either in my quest for education.  I actually spend more time outdoors than ever before.  Reading to the background of birds and wildlife gives a peaceful backdrop to the words I am digesting.  I have the capacity to retain more when I read outside than at a desk in my home.  I will do my dilegence to write more and more often.
For now read, live and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment