Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Hiking As A Minimalist

Hiking has been a passion of mine for some time now.  It began when I was in my single digits and has grown with me through the years.  I remember being in the Boy Scouts and hiking all over the place.  I carried a completely filled pack with all the "essentials" I'd need, or so I thought.  Fast forward twenty years and as I look back on it all I must have had one durable back because I don't carry nearly the weight I used to.  Some of it has to do with technology and items weighing less but, for the most part I just don't feel the need to carry all that much gear.  Of course, my wife politely reminded me I also only go on day hikes.  This got me to thinking about what gear would I take if I went on an overnight hike and how well I'd be relying on minimal gear.
I came up with the following list of supplies:
Obviously a pack - I went with my 488 cu. in. MountainSmith Tour Lumbar Pack
Compass
2AA cell LED MagLight
Clif Bars
Shelled Peanuts
Swiss Army Knife
SOG SEAL Pup Elite Knife
Cotton Balls w/ petroleum jelly
Firestarter
2 Canteens
Canteen cup & pouch
H2O purification tablets
Insect Repellent
Cordage - 50' fashioned into an anklet
3 Bandanas
55 gal. drumliner
thin fleece blanket

That's my list...Keep in mind this would be for a warmer overnight...spring, summer, or early fall.  Outside of my normal hiking clothes, Vibram FiveFingers, shorts, coolmax shirt, flannel and bandanna...I'd be set.  I'm not a big fan of large packs and because I sweat...a lot, the idea of having a pack against my back all day just irritates me.  I'll keep it simple.  The bare essentials to make it there, through the night and back and be content.
Of course this isn't for everyone.  I enjoy pushing the envelope when I go out and have gone out with just a Swiss Army Knife and my canteen set-up, (canteen, tin cup that fits onto canteen and pouch).  Ended up spending the night under a rock with a fire directed into the  overhang.  It was quite comfy, though I ended up with more mosquito bites than I care to ever have again.
My passion for minimalism is freedom, doing more with less restraints & not worrying about whether I packed my sleeping pad.  I just want to enjoy nature, period.  And, if nature wants to have a little fun with me and get me lost and keep me for a few days I've done my homework and educated myself to be able to handle being out with little gear and be quite content.  My hat goes off the people like Cody Lundin who had the balls to live in a wikiup for years and was happy doing so.  Not only is it validation that we can do with much less than what we do and be happy but, there is hope that we can find a happy medium between those worlds.  Where we respect and become more attuned to nature and decrease the amount of "stuff" we think we need.
Hiking has been one of the first areas I've gone minimalist in, I've started minimalizing my life and possessions.  I don't want my children growing up with a need to just have things.  I want them to understand we only need so much and the few things we do have that are beyond those need are truly treasured possessions.  My intent is to hike for a day spend the night wherever I make it too and hike back the next with minimal gear this weekend.  I'll see how it goes.  The good, the bad and the ugly!

No comments:

Post a Comment