Thursday, June 2, 2011

In the Beginning...

My back yard in June '07
As with anything there is a beginning and an end.  Today begins my journey into my sharing of thoughts and ideas surrounding the great outdoors and all things which may encompass it.  I've always enjoyed being deep in the woods, alone and secluded from the hustle and bustle of life.  Always felt a sense of comfort and security in the middle of nowhere.  Odd for a kid who grew up in the suburbs of Cleveland, OH.  We didn't have much in the way of woods, there were a few parks here and there and that was as good as it got.  My love story really began when my family moved to Marietta, OH, right along the OH / WV border.  We lived in a modest ranch home on 2 acres in the middle of nowhere.  Our closest neighbor was a half mile down a gravel road.  All around me were fields of corn, hay, soybean and a magical forest.  I remember my first trek into the woods that sat behind the field of our backyard.  There was a deep and cool stream running before it like the moat of a castle.  Pines mixed with great oaks and maples guarded the entrance to a world I created as I went further inside.
We lived there for only two years before returning the the suburban life but, I was hooked.  I craved to be outside surrounded by trees and what I was already calling pure life.  The untainted by urbanism life.  Fortunately for me we dad was making good money and we moved to a location behind one of the larger parks in the area.  I had woods a mere 50 feet from my back door.  Throughout my teens I learned every tree, path and stream within that park.  I was able to walk from my house to the main portion of the park in the dark, if need be, without worry of getting lost.
The adventure grew after I learned to drive and bought my first car.  Now, I had the ability to travel to more remote and unexplored areas.  I would pack the car and go every Saturday morning and spend my weekends further and further from pavement and people.
My passion came to a minor halt once I joined the working class.  I started college and worked full time limiting any chances of being near nature.  Many years passed before I was able to get back to being outdoors as I had growing up.  I'm married and have children of my own.  Now more than ever with my sons at an age that enables them to enjoy and appreciate the outdoors I am seeking to regain my outdoors lifestyle.  I am blessed to live where I do.  All around my home are forests and mountains.  Exploration is everywhere.  My intent is to cover my outdoor philosophy, local trails, remote trails (if possible), the gear I use or don't use & the ever living artwork I call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment