Saturday, June 25, 2011

My First 5K

After the Chocolate Miracle 5K race exhaused in Hershey, PA
 I ran my first 5K race one week ago today.  I was a bit nervous.  How will I finish?  Will I bonk? Will I be able to hang with guys my age even or will I get passed by somebody I perceive to be more out of shape than me?  Ok, I was more nervous than I let on but, I'm happy to say according to the result boards at the race I did better than I thought.  I came in 69th, with an unofficial time of 24 minutes 21seconds making that my fastest 5K ever!  It was definitely an experience I want to repeat and will make some adjustments too.  Experience is absolutely the best way for me to learn.

The race benefited the Children's Miracle Network and took place in good ol' Hershey, PA.  Home of, yes you betcha, Hershey Chocolate.  I was fortunate enough to have my wife and boys with me to keep me company during the pre-race shuffle.  Otherwise I would have probably put my headphones in my ears and fallen asleep.  I had woken up at 4 o'clock to eat and get ready.  Packed the suburban by 5:15.  On the road by 5:30, to get there by 7 o'clock.  Race began at 8 o'clock.  I had plenty of time to register, pin my number (165) on and make sure I was hydrated.  It also gave me time to scope out the other runners.
There were a ton of people there of all ages.  I was a bit disappointed that I could only find one other runner in Vibram FiveFingers.  She ended up 3rd overall for the women.  It was easy to spot the cross country runners.  A group of guys in their late teens / early twenties congregated by a tree.  You could just see it in them they ran and were good at it.  I found out later just how good when they passed me half a mile from the turn around, most of ‘em chit chatting as they ran effortlessly.  By that time, I was doing everything I could just to stay breathing.  
There was a short ceremony right before the race, which I'm sad to say most of us missed cause the sound was so poor.  We all knew when to go though.  I tried starting as close to the beginning as I could...I hate being stuck in a crowd.  
After the half a mile we had thinned out pretty good.  I almost cried when I passed the first mile marker and a guy yelled my time as 7:13, I was shocked.  I normally run a static 8:50 - 9:10 mile.  I was cruising.  
The second mile I had lapsed into a +8 minute mile.  I could feel the heat finally hitting me.  The air was thick and made breathing a challenge.  I've always had difficulty breathing well in distance running.  I just don't feel I'm taking in enough oxygen.  Went to my doctors a while back and after a battery of tests, my lungs are healthy and work perfect.  It didn't feel like they were perfect the day of the race though. Then there was the distinct sound of someone coming up from behind me.
There is something to be said about hearing someone running behind you.  When you hear their heavy breathing and shoes hit the asphalt just over your shoulder that just pushes you.  I remember passing a guy and scaring the crap out of him cause he couldn't hear me coming.  He caught up with me after the race to talk about it.  He said he normally hears the footsteps of someone approaching but, never heard mine.  I told him it was the way I ran because of my shoes. My heels barely strike the ground.  I am a minimalist runner and wear Vibram FiveFingers which enable me to run naturally thus, quietly.  I think I talked to a dozen or so runners about my shoes that day. Most had questions of comfort and if I had any pain when I ran. “Nope,” I told them, “and I’ll never go back to standard shoes again.”
The last stretch of the run was the worst, it was a slight incline back to the starting line. Slight in reality but, at that point it felt like a mountain.  My legs were aching and because I was wearing a knee brace my right calf muscle was beginning to cramp.  ACL replacement back in ‘05 left my knee with little to no meniscus and I didn’t want to take any chances of potential injury.
I took my bandanna off, wrung it out and stuffed it in my waistband.  I was hot and couldn't get cool enough.  I was was tired, sore and felt like i couldn’t take a breath but, by the time I reached the last 200m I hit a zone.  
My body felt the finish line.  I was being pulled to it.  It was within my grasp.  I could feel my stride lengthen. My pace began to quicken. I felt weightless.  I passed two runners as I continued to gain momentum.  Two more runners behind me and I was in a full sprint.  I had run track in school, the 200m and 400m so I was in familiar territory but, had never done it after just running 3 miles.  Even so I drove through the finish line in full stride on the balls of my feet as fast as I could.  
I remember passing the clock and it reading 00:24:20.  I added another second just in case I missed something.  I was out of breath completely as I gave one of the girls waiting at the end of a tunnel they had set up, the tag off my bib.  That is how they kept track of our placing.  I was overjoyed with my time but, wanting to collapse.  I just had to keep moving though.  Soon, my wife and kids came to my rescue with a bottle of water and support.
We hung out and encouraged the other runners as they finished.  The boys and I ate the free bananas, cookies and other snacks they had available for us.  When it was all said and done I was quite proud of myself.  I hadn't thought I'd have had it in me. Though I didn't place in my age group, I had finally gotten back into a competitive environment.  
It’s a place I’ve missed.  I'm not overly competitive, mind you. I mean I've played sports with people who’s only thought was to win, some intense personalities there.  I will admit I do have a pretty competitive side to me but, not until I know I'm ready to compete and I'm not ready right now.  Maybe not ever but, just being in the environment was enough to give me that sensation of life you cant find elsewhere.  
I am already planning my next race in August, I think, and training for my 2nd Livestrong event on August 21st.  Click the link if you'd like to support the fight against cancer!!  And for that I'm going to need stamina and mental endurance, it will be a 100 mile bike ride through Montgomery county near Philadelphia, PA.  According to Livestrong website it is the most difficult course on their schedule, such a nice way to challenge the body.  Rode 70 miles last year, of course I'm gonna push myself this year.  It's what i enjoy.  It's what this sight is really about.  My journey to discover my boundaries and my limits.
This race showed me my limits aren't static and with the right motivation can be pushed even if only a little at a time. Next time, though I'm looking to beat 24 minutes, we'll see cause August is hot but, that's just another obstacle to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment